911 Dispatcher/Communications Specialist
This position receives emergency and non-emergency calls for service; dispatches police, fire, EMS and other emergency units; maintains contact with personnel in the field; operates a variety of transmitting/receiving equipment; performs a variety of general support duties related to dispatch activities; and does related work as assigned. Dispatchers also assist the detention center by insuring the safety of all detention deputies, visitors, and inmates by controlling, observing, and documenting all movement of internal and external detention traffic activities electronically. This is accomplished visually and audibly using remotely controlled doors, gates, cameras, visual monitors, intercom systems, radios and computers. Applicants must possess good communication skills, unimpeachable integrity, and a strong commitment to public service and to the community that we serve.
The position requires working 40+ hours a week in rotating shifts that include working nights, weekends, and holidays. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and PERSI retirement. Applicants must pass background investigation, and oral interviews. Good character and clean background required. Experience preferred but not required.
- High school diploma or GED equivalency is required
- A comprehensive knowledge of computers and data entry, and be computer literate
- Emergency dispatching experience is preferred but not required
- Must be 18 years of age
- Experience with radio transmitters and teletype desirable
- Must be able to type 40 wpm
- Pass a criminal record’s check and be drug free
- Complete a polygraph test
- Pass a background investigation
- Must attend and successfully pass the POST Dispatch Academy within one year of hire date
Pay is $17.97 /hr after probationary period
All candidates must provide a resume and completed job application. Application packets are available by contacting the Caribou County Sheriff’s Office, 475 East 2nd South, Soda Springs, between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday.